[abc80] How to load .bac files into an ABC80/800 emulator?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Sep 10 03:49:22 PDT 2018

On 9/10/18 3:44 AM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 9/10/18 2:59 AM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>
>> I just added *untested* support for ABC800/BASIC-II to bin2bac.pl.  The loader
>> source code is in bac800.asm.
>>
>> I fully expect it to be broken, but at least it should be a matter of minor
>> bugs -- probably in the loader assembly code.
>>

> Now it is tested and it works :)

One fun thing with how I implemented the ABC800 version: it is possible to
SAVE the binary program and LOAD it again; if data variables have been changed
that comes along, too -- it's basically like you have executed RUN again
(although watch out with pointers -- it is not guaranteed that it is loaded at
the same address.  The relocation code handles that case, but only if it knows
where the pointers live.)

This is something that simply isn't possible to do on ABC80.

	-hpa