[abc80] abc80sim 3.1 -- now 5000% slower

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Ons Okt 3 13:35:44 PDT 2018

Den ons 3 okt. 2018 kl 06:34 skrev H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I really shouldn't be spending this kind of time on this, but I did just
> release abc80sim-3.1.  The big new feature in this release is that it now
> attempts to count simulated CPU cycles and therefore run at the proper
> speed.
> The speed can be set on the command line.
>
> For comparison, on my 2.6 GHz Core i7-6600U the simulated CPU was
> previously
> running at 150-200 MHz despite the fact the abc80sim really isn't
> particularly
> optimized -- there isn't really any point!  It now defaults to 3 MHz (the
> actual clock frequency in ABC80 and 800) unless set on the command line.
> "--speed max" can be used to run full throttle.
>
> It also means that the simulator doesn't use 100% of a host CPU core in the
> normal case.
>
> Other changes:
>
> - Cassette now works for ABC800
> - The PRx: interface is connected to the ABC800 PR: port, but the ROM isn't
>   there yet (sorry)
> - Option to disable color (normally supports ABC800C/Teletext color)
>
> **** WARNING: MOST OF THE SHORT-FORM COMMAND LINE OPTIONS HAVE CHANGED ****
>
> https://www.abc80.org/pub/abc80sim/
> https://git.zytor.com/abc80/abc80sim.git/
>
>         -hpa

Hi!
That's a funny ”enhancement”, a little nerdy perhaps, but what would life
be without a little nerdyness…?
Anyway, is there some kind of manual for the simulator?
I installed the 3.0 version maybe a week ago or so, and I played around
with it a little, not much, but I couldn't find out how to save my stuff
nor how to load it. Using the same commands as saving on a floppy with a
real ABC80 certainly didn't work, so how do you guys save your stuff? You
do, right…?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg