[abc80] abc80sim 3.1 -- now 5000% slower

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tis Okt 2 21:33:57 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I really shouldn't be spending this kind of time on this, but I did just
release abc80sim-3.1.  The big new feature in this release is that it now
attempts to count simulated CPU cycles and therefore run at the proper speed.
The speed can be set on the command line.

For comparison, on my 2.6 GHz Core i7-6600U the simulated CPU was previously
running at 150-200 MHz despite the fact the abc80sim really isn't particularly
optimized -- there isn't really any point!  It now defaults to 3 MHz (the
actual clock frequency in ABC80 and 800) unless set on the command line.
"--speed max" can be used to run full throttle.

It also means that the simulator doesn't use 100% of a host CPU core in the
normal case.

Other changes:

- Cassette now works for ABC800
- The PRx: interface is connected to the ABC800 PR: port, but the ROM isn't
  there yet (sorry)
- Option to disable color (normally supports ABC800C/Teletext color)

**** WARNING: MOST OF THE SHORT-FORM COMMAND LINE OPTIONS HAVE CHANGED ****

https://www.abc80.org/pub/abc80sim/
https://git.zytor.com/abc80/abc80sim.git/

	-hpa